The Rectory and the Convent
When the parish was founded, there was no home for the priests. When the circumstances required it the priests would remain overnight in a few small rooms above the sacristy. After a year, a small rectory was built at a cost of $3,000. It was moved from Oakdale to Wellington (where the current rectory stands) after the lower church was built. Some years later it was considerably enlarged to accommodate the growing number of Fathers assigned to the expanding parish. However, the living rooms were dark and small, the assembly room, refectory, library and chapel were unsuitable to normal monastic life, and it was infested with vermin and unsanitary.
When Father Wenzel Steinbach became Pastor (1924-1930) the parish was financially sound and able to build a better home for the community of Redemptorists. The rectory was completed in 1926.
The first convent stood to the rear of the old frame church, fronting Oakdale. The convent was built in 1886, doubled in 1901 and moved to the northeast corner of Oakdale and Greenview in 1910 to make room for the Athenaeum. In 1928 this makeshift convent was replaced by a larger and improved convent on the same corner of Oakdale and Greenview.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12